- Aromatec is poised to disrupt traditional concentration processes with a novel hollow fibre FO membrane - June 11, 2021
- Successful pilot of Fluid Technology Solutions’ OsmoBC™ process for treatment of desulfurization wastewater - February 21, 2021
- Connecticut Center for Applied Separations Technologies (CCAST) and Aquaporin A/S initiate forward osmosis collaboration - November 22, 2020
According to a new article on WaterWorld, forward osmosis is gaining traction within product concentration, ZLD, and water reuse
In the recent WaterWorld article, “Forward Osmosis: Is it beginning to live up to the hype?“, Steve Gluck – TAG expert for BlueTech Research – estimates the addressable FO market to range from $300million (when considering only ZLD) to $6billion (if both ZLD, product concentration, and water reuse are considered).
Some FO application areas are starting to show commercial promise
While ZLD/brine concentration still shows most promise, additional application areas are emerging where FO is likely to challenge existing thermal solutions (such as evaporators):
- Concentration of valuable products by de-watering
- Minimizing waste hauling costs by concentrating difficult to treat wastewater streams such as landfill leachate
- Specialized desalination opportunities
While others are unlikely to materialize commercially within a foreseeable future
- PRO due to lack of low cost industrial scale FO membranes
- Osmotic MBRs and fertigation
- Pressure-assisted osmosis (PAO)
Join the discussion
What’s your opinion on forward osmosis commercialization? Where are the low hanging fruits to be found?